Following the European Parliament’s Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) vote in favour of MEP Sarah Wiener’s report on the Sustainable Use of Plant Protection Products Regulation (SUR), we need to continue mobilizing support for the SUR. We have designed a template letter to help you build on momentum and ask Member State Ministers to step up and make it happen.
- Download the document here.
- Adjust the text where necessary while highlighting that the SUR is essential to unlock biological control and put it in the hands of farmers.
- Make sure to mention measures to accelerate the authorisation of alternatives.
- For some members states, the SUR can be difficult so you may need to frame it in a different context more relevant to your member state e.g., highlight issues relating to biodiversity loss or climate change mitigation and show how the SUR can offer solutions.
- You will find additional points at the end of the document in case further arguments are needed e.g. refer to the reduction in use of pesticides which which will come irrespective of SUR but farmers will only have solutions to deal with this, if the SUR is approved.
Once complete, send the letter to your Minister!
If you have any questions, please contact Isabelle Pinzauti Babrzynski, IBMA Senior Advocacy and Outreach Manager, email@example.com.